Panel #1: Smart Infrastructure and Services: Are We Ready?
Moderator: Dr. Anwar Haque, Western University
- Dr. Wen Tong, CTO, Wireless Network, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Dr. Greg Sidebottom, Principal Engineer, Juniper Networks
- Dr. Amir Sayegh, Senior Data Enablement Manager, GEOTAB
- Mr. Ali Khwaja, Managing Consultant – AI, IoT & Industry 4.0, IBM Canada
- Dr. Abdallah Shami, CEO, DAIN2
Panel #2: NSERC Updates & How to Apply for a Discovery Grant
- Felix Moore, Discovery Grant Program Officer
- Flora Marguerite, Discovery Grant Program Officer
- Patrick Suter, Program Officer - Alliance Grant
NSERC Staff will present NSERC Updates and Discovery Grants Competitions Results 2020. Afterwards, they will give an overview of the peer review process and advice will be given on how to prepare a Discovery Grant application. The workshop will cover topics such as Discovery Grants Evaluation Groups, criteria for evaluation and ratings, tips on how to prepare an application. NSERC staff will be on site the rest of the morning following the presentation to discuss and answer additional questions.
Panel #3: Technology Leadership Forum
– Kexing Liu (QGenX Systems), IEEE Canada OS Committee Chair
– Dale Tardiff (Innovative Power), IEEE Canada OP Committee Vice Chair
- Jean Boudreau, President, Engineers Canada
- Jayson Myers, CEO, Next Generation Manufacturing Canada
- Fred McMahon, Dr. Michael A. Walker Chair in Economic Freedom, Fraser Institute
Technologies have become pervasive and fundamental to humanity. They are at the core of today’s knowledge-based economy, fueling the development of innovative products, business processes and government services. They continue to redefine business and geographic regions; form borderless environments; create new challenges and opportunities for governments. The Canada Technology Leadership Forum brings together leaders from different science and engineering associations and policy analysts to discuss technology and innovation strategies necessary to succeed in the 21st century.
Panel #4: Artificial Intelligence in the Real World
Moderator: Mahsa Bataghva, Researcher at Western University & Robarts Research Institute
- Parinaz Sobhani, Director of Machine Learning on the Georgian Impact team
- Amir Feizpour, Founder of Aggregate Intellect
- Shahram Sean Yousefi, Co-Founder, President and CEO MESH Scheduling Inc.
AI of today can process large amounts of data to infer and deliver insightful solutions to problems. Applications of Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) is broad and growing. But how far can we take this? Where should humans complement machines and vice-versa? Is Artificial Intelligence one-size-fits all? And how AI will shape the future? and at which degree should we rely solely on technology to get the best outcomes? Join us and learn all about the exciting world of artificial intelligence. At this event, you'll hear from subject matter experts and start-up founders from industry and academia who will share their experience and insights about the impact of AI and provide examples of how and when AI is being used, as well as what the future holds for the industry.